Thursday 29 September 2011

Page One: Inside the New York Times

  (Sorry guys and gals, no fashion in this post)  
     Last week, I along with around 73 other 1st year Creative Communications students, gathered at the old Cinematheque theatre for an afternoon of journalism filled fun. As we nestled into our seats with popcorn in one hand, and a Jones soda in the other, director Andrew Rossi‘s “Page One: Inside the New York Times” documentary begins to roll.
    It is no surprise that the way we receive our news is changing and evolving into something deeply embedded in technology, as the years continue roll on by. With newer media outlets such as Twitter, blogging sites, and Wiki Leaks (to name a few), the “need” for a printed newspaper is becoming less and less prominent. Rossi’s documentary takes you through the journey of what it’s like to work at the New York Times; striving to be on top of the news, and working to stay relevant and needed.
     To be completely honest, I wasn’t particularly interested in the film going into the theatre, and was positive I would be asleep long before the halfway point. But David Carr’s (NYT columnist) colourful personality was interesting to watch as he guided us throughout the documentary. I would have been more interested to learn more about Carr’s life story; particularly how he managed to surpass a life of drug addiction, and land a job and at one of the world’s most well-known newspapers.
     I understand that there are many people out there who are worried about the extinction of print news. But as a 23 year old who has grown up in the world of technology, and has never imagined herself working for a newspaper (big or small), I’m not overly concerned. Don’t get me wrong, I do think It is important and beneficial to be on top of the news so you are aware of what’s going on in the world. Luckily for me, there’s an app for that!

4 comments:

  1. i agree! i said something similar in my post: since i don't actually read the PAPER, i would still be happy to read their tweets, fb updates and use their app!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: David Carr's comments and actions reward viewers who stay awake.
    For more on this intriguing character, check out his autobiography The Night of the Gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might actually check that out because he was very interesting and the whole time I was watching the documentary, I had so many questions about him!

    ReplyDelete