Monday 2 January 2012

PR Moment- Tampon Shortage

A couple of months ago, Johnson & Johnson had a shortage of O.B. tampons across Canada and the United States and consumers were not pleased. There are a lot of people out there who when they find a product they like, they always stick to that brand and refuse to try anything new. A lot of people started selling thier boxes of O.B. tampons on ebay and other buying and selling sites, and boxes of tampons were purchased for as much as...wait for it...$90! I don't know about you, but when I have to $10 on a box of tampons I start thinking about all of the other things I'd rather be spending my money on.


The thing I find the most interesting about this whole scenario, is how the company chose to handle this problem. They issued a bunch of coupons to consumers to recieve free boxes of tampons when they are back on the shelves, but the thing that interested me is they way they formed their apology. If you follow this link http://obtampons.ca/apology , it will take you to a page where they ask you to type in your first name. Then a few seconds later, a video of a man playing piano starts to play, and he sings and spells out your name (in clever red roses) in a heartfelt apology. It's quite impressive I must say. Johnson & Johnson, you are something crafty!

4 comments:

  1. I love this - when some would be running around with arms flailing yelling "CRISIS!" J&J took it down a notch and calmed everyone down with something fun. Well, maybe not everyone... but then, you can't ever win 'em all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I feel there was only so much they could do about the situation, so why not have some fun with it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an interesting way to handle a potential issue. Johnson & Johnson strikes again!

    ReplyDelete