Monday 26 March 2012

IPP Panels



APPROVED is a word I like to hear. Today around 70 first-year CreComm students proposed an idea for their Individual Professional Projects (IPP) to a panel of instructors. Project ideas ranged from graphic novels, to videos, to blogs, to fashion shows. A list was posted last week of which students would be pitching in front of which panel of judges, and I along with a handful of other students definitely got the tough group of instructors. 

I had a sliver of self-doubt and thought my idea for a Red Dress Gala & Fashion was going to get rejected, in fear that my event was going to be perceived as too big a project for one person...just a sliver. The feeling went away after a short time until I got to school this morning. Almost everyone I had talked to who had presented their project ideas in front of the same panel I had been assigned, had been rejected! The nervous feeling came back for a few minutes, but then quickly went away.

Why?

Because I know my project inside and out, and knew I was prepared to answer any and all questions that came my way. And boy were there A LOT of questions. They came quickly and they came one after another with barely a breath in between. But my responses to these many questions came just as quick. I walked into the room with a container full of chocolate covered strawberries (which nobody ate) and a mind filled with confidence. 

The major concern for my gala was one I predicted, that my event was too big for me to take on as a solo project. I was told that I would need a lot of help with different elements of the event. However, when I said that I had more than a handful of people willing to lend a helping hand at my disposal, I was then told that I can’t rely on outside help.

 You’re not alone....I didn’t get it either. 

But you know what, I still had confidence in myself and in my proposed project, so I left the room with my head held high, and waited for the judges to deliberate. Was I nervous that I was going to have to re-pitch my idea after making some moderations? Not really. But of course I wasn’t 100% certain.

I walked back into the room and they had told me my event has been approved...conditionally. What does that mean? It means that in order to successfully pass the IPP portion of my second year, I have to stick to everything listed in my written proposal...which was my plan from the get-go. I was also told I had the option to re-pitch a smaller event or a different idea entirely, if I so choose. So am I going to re-pitch something smaller or something a bit different?

NO!

I fully believe in myself and my capability to successfully host this event. Is this something I’ve done before? No! Is it going to be a quick and easy task? Definitely not! I’m I going to get a bunch of bumps and bruises along the way? I sure hope so! 

The real questions here, ladies and gentlemen? Is this something I want? Something I’ll work hard for? Something I can look back on and be proud of? Something where failure isn’t an option? 

YES! YES! YES! 

Here`s my advice to all of you out there who may have not been approved on the first try...
If you have something you’re can be passionate about, something you feel you know like the back of your hand, and all the confidence that can fit in your body, you’ll do just fine.

Be strong, be brave, and be yourself! 

P.S. Curious where I get all of this confidence and strong will from?

I got it from my mama!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Charmaine! Love your reasoning and your courage. All the best as you continue your planning. I hope that people not only don't let you down, but rise to the challenge as you expect the best of them/us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Jenna! I can't wait to start seeing everyone putting together their IPPs.

      Delete
  2. I was a bit surprised by being shot down because I was relying on outside help....I mean, hello?!! One of the them is lawyer. I'll just have her draw up legal documents....Hhaaha :P

    ReplyDelete