Friday 2 March 2012

Janelle Wookey- Memere Metisse


Director, writer, producer, shooter, editor, and on-air personality, Janelle Wookey, came to talk to first year CreComm students yesterday about her 2008 Individual Professional Project (IPP). 

She is a young woman from a French-Aboriginal background (Métis). Her grandmother, from the same background, has for years denied the fact that she was Métis and was embarrassed to talk about her heritage. Janelle shot a documentary about her grandmother for her IPP, in which the end goal was the get grandma to acknowledge her background, and to register for her Métis card.

The documentary was absolutely amazing. For most seminars you can often find me texting (although I’m paying attention as well). For this one, I started texting before the documentary started, but didn’t touch my phone once until the entire seminar was over. Yay me. And by Yay me, I mean Yay Janelle.

Her video was truly inspiring, and it couldn’t have been shown to us at a better time. Right now all the first year CreComm students are working on their IPP proposals and working out the kinks in their ideas. I thank Janelle for taking time out of her busy schedule to come in and inspire us to think big, work hard, and achieve greatness.

On Janelle Wookey’s website, you will find a link to her “Memere Metisse” documentary which I highly suggest you take a look at. She also has a bunch of other videos on her site, and I’ve been really impressed with the ones I’ve watched so far. After you watch her video, come back here and tell me what you think. I’d love to chat about it with you folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment