Tuesday 24 July 2012

Baby Steps to Big Steps


Last Friday I went to see my doctor to get a prescription refill for my high blood pressure. As they do during every appointment, they took my blood pressure to see what kind of progress I’ve been making. I’ve been off the medication for a little over a month, due to laziness to go across town to get my prescription. This isn’t the first time I’ve gone for weeks without my medication, so usually when they take my pressure it’s a lot higher than it should be. But during my last appointment, in a strange turn of events, my blood pressure turned out to lower, even though I’ve been off my meds. 

So....what does that mean?

What it means is that the little steps I’ve been taking to exercise regularly and make healthier food choices, is actually helping me become a healthier person. Why has no one told me about this sooner? Since the beginning of the school year I’ve been trying to squeeze in workouts whenever possible, and trying to eat more fruits and veggies. It’s been tough but I have been making an honest effort, and it’s nice to know that even though I’m not getting the quick results I was looking for, that what I’m doing is in fact, making a difference. 

My doctor has decided to keep me off the meds for another month to see if my blood pressure continues to go down without the help of a few pills. 

Sometimes I feel too lazy for exercise, or find it easier to unwrap a chocolate bar than to put together a fruit salad. But I feel that knowing my health is actually improving is going to motivate me to keep up with the routine, and move from baby steps, to big steps.

2 comments: