Wednesday 18 July 2012

My Deepest Apologies


To all of the sheltered young boys and girls of Winnipeg, I want to apologize on behalf of your parents for babying you and not allowing you to have any real life experiences; for making you think that living  in one area of the city, makes you a better or more deserving person than those living in all other areas; for making you believe that as long as you hide behind your white picket fence or the golden gates of your community, that no harm will come to you; for making it hard for you later down the road when life hits you in the face and you don’t know how to retaliate; for making it likely that you too will raise your kids to be a snob to any neighbourhood that isn’t theirs. 

I’d like to take the time to let you know that you don’t live in Beverley Hills, or Paris, or in Uptown Manhattan. You live in big small town WINNIPEG! Regardless of the area you claim, you still live in a city that many people outside of this country haven’t heard of, and have no interest in going to. You still live in a city often referred to as the murder capital of Canada, a city where people get mugged, a city where people are homeless, a city where bad things happen, regardless of the area.

 I’m not saying Winnipeg is a terrible place to live in, as a lot of great things happen here! All I’m saying is that regardless of who you are, where you live, and how much money you think you have, we ALL live in the same city. I’m sorry you were brought up to believe that your postal code makes you part of Winnipeg’s elite, as one day I’m sure you will be in for a rude awakening when you find out you’re not. I’m not suggesting you take a stroll through the streets of downtown  alone at 3 in the morning (mind you, I’ve done it many times and I live to talk about it), I’m merely suggesting that you step out of your comfort zone for a day or two, and see what your city has to offer. As I said, many great things happen here in ALL areas of the city, and me being the nice person I am, just wants to make sure you have the opportunity to enjoy being a true Winnipegger :)

Winnipeg, MB

No comments:

Post a Comment