Wednesday 1 February 2012

Batman


The bulk of this semester seems to be surfacing around a ton of group work. Right now I’m a part of four different groups for different classes. I have a group for producing a radio intro, a group for our magazine project, a group for creating a radio drama, and a group that has to shoot our very own infomercial. As soon as one group project ends, another begins. 

One of the strengths I claim to have on my resume and during interviews, is that I work well with others and that I have a strong ability to problem solve, which I hold to be true…most of the time.

I feel that when a group I’m apart of is faced with a problem or some sort of roadblock, that I can usually find a way to get us out of the jam, or at least contribute a list of ideas to help along the problem solving process. However, with all of the group work we’ve been doing this month, this doesn’t appear to be the case, at least not as often as I’d like it to be. 

Why?

It’s easy to come up with solutions to a problem that’s prevalent in a group, but what do you do when you’re the only person who recognizes something as problematic?  I don’t want to be rude and push a “solution” to a problem no one believes to be there, but at the same time, I want to I don’t to be penalized for an issue that could have been avoided early on.

In public relations we learn the importance of detecting potential problems before they turn into real issues down the road. So I’m not sure if I’m using my PR brain, if I’m over analyzing things, or if I just want to jump at the chance to be a hero. Batman, not Superman….blue, yellow, and red don’t mix but damn, I look good in black.  


2 comments:

  1. But nipples aside....

    I agree with you! It's hard to be among a group of people who keep saying "eff this, let's just get it done" or another group who are still writing their part of the assignment only a few hours before it's due (sorry to the culprits if they read this, but come on!!). It sucks to be the one in the group who wants to do things properly and on time when others aren't taking it seriously. It makes me feel like a naggly old crow to be in that position! At the same time, we're learning to work in groups because we'll likely be working in creative teams later on. So, even if it's bleh and feels like ass, NOW is the time to develop our skills at giving others a friendly kick in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! But I also feel that in the professional world, people are part of a team or organization because they want to be. And I would hope that because they're getting paid and trying to obtain a credible reputation, that they're more likely to put in the effort, recognize when a problematic situation sition arises, and meet deadlines with plenty of time to spare. One can hope, anyway.

      Delete